Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Eddie Herr Preview, Yucatan Progress; Crying in Tennis plus Happy Thanksgiving!

One of my most research-intensive posts of the year, my Eddie Herr preview, is up today at the Tennis Recruiting Network. Just looking through the entry lists is a daunting job, with so many players from all over the world, while trying to narrow it down to a few favorites and contenders is even more challenging. Since I wrote it on Monday, I didn't have access to the USTA wild cards in the 18s, but they have now been provided to me. Michael Redlicki and Catherine Harrison have received wild cards into the 18s draw, with Jeremy Efferding, Spencer Newman and Deborah Suarez getting qualifying wild cards. There will be others granted by tournament director Rick Workman, but I haven't yet received word of those.

The Grade 1 Yucatan Cup is down to the final 16 in singles, with defending champion Lauren Davis, the No. 4 seed, still poised to repeat. She plays fellow American Lynn Chi today. Vicky Duval and Christina Makarova(10) have also reached the third round, as has Puerto Rico's Monica Puig. No U.S. boys remain in the singles draw. For more, see the tournament website.

The Tennis Mom has posted a very nuanced article about crying in junior tennis on her blog today. I had never considered the good reasons vs. the bad reasons for the tears common in the 12s, but she explores them thoroughly.

I am spending Thanksgiving with family in North Carolina on the way to the Eddie Herr, so my next post will be Friday from Bradenton. I hope you have a great holiday, filled with family, friends and gratitude.

1 comments:

Junior Tennis said...

Our prayes are out to Chase Curry and his Family!!!