Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Inside Junior Tennis Podcast; Michael Russell Update

It was three weeks between podcasts with all that Kevin McClure and I had going on this summer, but we did have an opportunity to discuss the National Championships in this edition of Inside Junior Tennis. We hope to double up this week and devote an entire show to the documentary Unstrung. My review will appear tomorrow on The Tennis Recruiting Network.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Greg Garber of ESPN.com today about a story he's working on about John Isner/college tennis. Since we were neighbors in the press room at Wimbledon, (and he could hardly avoid my chatter about college and junior tennis all week), he called me to ask for my take on some of the issues. Although we didn't discuss Michael Russell except in passing, Greg seemed to know his whole biography, and when I went to the website today, I found out why. This is an in-depth feature about Russell that is down right inspirational without being sentimental. Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colette, thanks for pointing us to the Michael Russell piece. What a remarkable story. If there is anyone to cheer for out there, Michael has to be near the top of the list. I always wondered why he could never keep the momentum going, but I didn't know the extent of the injuries. Of course, he gets another crappy draw at the Open and plays Blake in the first round. I love James but count me as one who will be cheering for the upset.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this story. Coming from a coach of a small college I know the disappointments young players must face in their lives.

This is truly a touching story!
Thank you for bringing it to us.

Thank Michael for his perseverence I say this--don't give up, NEVER,never GIVE UP!

former coach for men and women at Lyon College, Batesville, Ar.