Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Allare Hits with Federer; Jenkins Lone U.S. Qualifier at U.S. Open


Our power's back, so I'm finally going to post the story I was going to put up Thursday. When I was watching the ATP Cincinnati Masters event on TV last weekend, I heard Mary Carillo mention that Federer was looking for a practice partner prior to a match and the person at the desk called a local high school player, who was "really good," is I think how Carillo put it. I went through a list of possibilities from my list of players from Ohio who played Kalamazoo, and thought it was probably Matt Allare, who is from Mason. I didn't think I'd get any confirmation of that guess, but on Wednesday there was this full length feature on tennis.com about Matt Allare's junior career and his session with Federer. It's too bad they didn't have a photo of Allare (I'm guessing most tennis.com readers know what Federer looks like and would rather have seen a picture of Allare accompanying the story), but I do, so I'm happy to include it here. With no coach and no entourage outside of Mirka, Federer is giving several juniors and young pros a thrill of a lifetime. (So far this year the list includes Kei Nishikori, Jonathan Eysseric, Jesse Levine and Allare).

US Open qualifying was completed today, and Scoville Jenkins is the only American to get through three matches and make it to the main draw, not a very impressive showing considering there were 15 wild cards given to U.S. players. The country with the most impressive showing in qualifying, by far, was Germany, with five men and two women. France, the next best, had three women and one man advance to the main draw.

For coverage of the qualifying tournament see usopen.org and collegeandjuniortennis.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobby Reynolds got in as a lucky loser.

Anonymous said...

Is Rhyne Williams playing US Oen Juniors, or is he still injured?